Site of the first Fulton County Jail – erected 1855; destroyed by the Federal army, Nov. 1865. It was a two story brick structure 45 by 50 ft., surrounded by a high board fence.
Here were imprisoned 21 Andrews Raiders in 1862. On June 18 seven of them were executed at southeast corner of Fair st. and S. Park Ave. On Oct. 16th, eight escaped; the remaining six were sent to Richmond and exchanged.
A second jail occupied this site after the war, until 1897.
(Northeast corner – Fair St. and Fraser St. North line of jail lot on prolongation of Cravens Alley. East line of lot, Kingsley St,