Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(71) Near this point Mayor James M. Calhoun and a committee of citizens made formal surrender of the city to Col John Coburn of the Federal 20th Corps, Sept. 2, 1864.
Shortly after, the 20th Corps troops entered the city via Marietta St. and took possession of the City Hall.
(Where Curran St. joins Marietta St…. several blocks above point where Bankhead highway joins Marietta St.)