Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(36) The area bounded by Decatur, Pryor, Alabama Sts., and Central Avenue, was the old State Square, consisting of five acres, deeded to the State of Georgia by Samuel Mitchell, July 11, 1842. Here the terminus of the State Railroad was re-located, a temporary depot and a two-story house (Chief Engineer’s office) were erected. The name “Terminus” was dropped and Marthasville substituted, its charter granted Dec. 23, 1843.
Site of terminus of Western & Atlantic R. R. and old Union passenger station.