Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(64) Site of Atlanta’s first Rolling Mill, established 1857. Operated by Lewis Sohofield after Jan. 1, 1858, William Markham, associate.
Here armor-plate for the Confederate Navy was manufactured, including the sheathing for the celebrated iron-clad Merrimac.
The Mill was destroyed by Confederate authorities when Atlanta was abandoned, Sept. 1, 1864
(Directly across Boulevard, S.E. from the Fulton Bag & Cotton Mill in the area now occupied by a coal yard)