Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(63) Site of Washington Hall, a hotel of the late 40s erected by Capt. James Loyd. Later purchased by William Markham, seventh mayor of Atlanta, and operated by him until the capture of the city by Federal forces in 1864. Mr. Markham erected a hotel on this site in 1875 which was destroyed by fire in 1896.
Sept. 22, 1877, President Rutherford B. Hayes addressed a large crowd of citizens from the front of the Markham House.
(On Central Avenue at the food of Wall St. Viaduct on front of a large brick building)