Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(56) Battlefield of Ezra Church – July 28,1864. From this vicinity on this the old Lick Skillet road, the Confederate troops of Brown’s and Clayton’s divisions of Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee’s Corps and later, Walthall’s division of Lt. Gen. Alexander P. Stewart’s Corps, advanced to attack the Federal 15th Corps posted on the ridge northward.
After repeated assaults, which failed to dislodge the enemy, the Confederate forces withdrew via Gordon Road to the city fortifications.This was Gen. Hood’s third attempt to halt Sherman’s drive upon Atlanta.
(Where Anderson Avenue Joins Gordon Road. This is at the northern border of West View Cemetery.)