Wilbur Kurtz’s Archival Description:
(55) Here stood the little frame edifice known as Ezra church-M. E. Church, South- on a half acre plot deeded by James and Nancy Coursey to the trustees, Oct. 31, 1853.
On July 28, 1864, Brig. Con. C. E. Woods division, constituting the left of the Federal 15th corps, occupied a position just east and south of this site. In the battle, Col. Hugo Wangelair’s brigade fought from behind a barricade of benches removed from the church.
The battle – named for the church – was Gen. Hood’s third attempt to checkmate Sherman’s drive upon Atlanta.
(Southeastern corner of Moseley Park. On July 28, 1937 the Margaret A. Wilson Chapter, Children of the Confederacy, unveiled a temporary board marker with the above inscription on it, at the church site. They promise to permanently mark the site with a boulder and a bronze tablet in the near future.)