03/21/22

(79) Leggetts Hill. July 20, 1864.

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

Wheeler’s Cavalry, C.S.A. defended this against Gresham’s div. Of the Federal 17th Corps, moving from Decatur. July 21, Cleburne’s div. Of Hardee’s Corps, having relieved Wheeler, was forced to withdraw to the city defenses following an assault by Leggett’s division of the 17th Corps.  

July 22, the 17th Corps defended this hill against Cleburne’s and Maney’s divisions of Hardee’s Corps and Stevenson’s div. Of Cheatham’s Corps. The conflict was waged throughout the afternoon at this, the key position and the storm-center of the Battle of Atlanta.  

Newspaper Description:

[No Description]

03/21/22

(77) Site of one of the Forts in the line of city defense works during the siege of Atlanta

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

July 22d – Aug 25th, 1864. Here was posted Capt. Overton W. Barret’s Missouri battery. 

(This is the high hill south of Bankhead Highway viaduct over Railroad) 

Newspaper Description:

282 Moreland Ave., S. E Koch Residence. Leggett’s Hall. A crucial point in the Battle of Atlanta. See bronze tablet on gate post.

03/21/22

(76) Site of Old State Street School

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

This eminence was crowned by a fort in the line of city fortifications during the siege of Atlanta, July 22d – Aug. 25th, 1864. Here was posted Capt. Alcide Bouanchaud’s Pointe  Coupee (Louisians) artillery, attached to Stewart’s Corps. 

(North side Wallac St. – west of state) 

Newspaper Description:

[No Description]

03/21/22

(75) Site of Fort Hood

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

northwestern salient of the city fortifications during the siege of Atlanta, July 22d – Aug. 25th, 1864. Here was posted Capt. S. L. Barry’s battery.  

(At Fort Hood Place, immediately north of Marietta St. Just above where Bankhead Highway joins. The hill where the fort was has been out through by Fort Hood Place – For no good reason – and all traces of the fort have disappeared) 

Newspaper Description:

[No Description]

03/21/22

(74) Site of the Ephriam G. Ponder House

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

A conspicuous building that stood on the line of eighty fortifications during the siege of Atlanta, July 22d – August 25th, 1864. A brick structure that hot shot failed to burn, but a battered ruin from the Federal artillery at 8th St. Here was posted Capt. Wm. C. Jeffress Nottoway Virginia, artillery. 

(Hilltop bounded by Ponder Ave., Oxford St., Third St. And Guyton St.) 

Newspaper Description:

[No Description]

03/21/22

(73) The House of Three Flags

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

The Huff House- Erected 1855. Headquarters of Maj. T. R. Hotchkiss, Artillery battalion commander of Hardee’s Corps – Confederates., July 18-20, 1861. Occupied by Federal officers during siege of Atlanta – protected from destruction by the hoisting of a British Flag. 

(70 Huff Road. Leave Marietta St. via steel bridge that carries Marietta Ca., interurban line over the W & A RR. – turn right into Huff Road at the end of the bridge) 

Newspaper Description:

[No Description]

03/21/22

(39) Kyle’s Corner

Wilbur Kurtz Archival Description:

(39)     This site, known in early Atlanta history as Kyle’s Corner, was the location of a store owned and operated by Thomas Kyle. At the first Atlanta city election, held here Jan. 29, 1848, Moses H. Formwalt was elected Mayor and as Council Members: James A Collins, Benj. F. Bomar, Robt. W. Bullard, Anderson W. Walton, L. C. Simpson and Jonas S. Smith.

(On the William-Oliver Bldg. at Five Points)

Newspaper Description:

[NO DESCRIPTION]

03/21/22

(88) Route taken by Lt. Gen. Hardee’s Corps

Route taken by Lt. Gen. Van. J. Hardee’s Corps and Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s Cavalry on its flanking march to the rear of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee, night of July 21, 1864, which resulted in the Battle of Atlanta on the 22d

Same route was taken by Stewart’s Corps when Atlanta was evacuated, Sept. 1st, 1864.

A portion of Sherman’s Army, moving into the city from Jonesboro, came in on this road.

(Capitol Ave – some conspicuous place near Capital – State Highway Bldg. for instance)